Tuesday, September 11, 2012

little brother, best friend

Have I ever mentioned that I have the best little brother anyone could ask for?
He basically holds our family together. 
I've always claimed Jeff as my best friend. He's always been there for me. As my awesome and exciting summer comes to an end and a new chapter begins... I can't help but think of all the good times we've shared. He's my partner in crime, my shoulder to cry on, and most of all my hero. Growing up we were pretty much joint at the hip. Some people thought we were twins:) Even though he is the star of the football team, the baseball team, and even the basketball team... he's also a celebrity. He is the best at making you laugh, being a true friend, and caring about others- especially those who need a pick-me-up. I've always admired his attitude towards life. The other day I heard him talking about someone who was sitting alone at a church activity. He told me everything the two of them talked about that night since Jeff decided to sit by this person...and at the time, I couldn't believe my brother could get any cooler. But every time I get blessed to spend more time with him I see that he is the perfect example to our nephews, he's the funniest person I've ever met, and he really does love life. A week ago I came home from work... tired and grumpy. He is always the first person to poke me in the side, pass on a big smile, and give me a hug to make me feel better. This particular day i was lucky enough to be invited to go bowling with him and two of his friends. my first thought was "me and three 18yr olds going bowling together?" But i decided it couldn't hurt to have a little fun... so Jeff ran downstairs to get me a sports jersey- i had to match the boys:) that was probably one of the best nights of my summer. See what difference you could make by being selfless for a few minutes and reaching out to someone? I got a chance to see how much Jeff's friends look up to him. He has a big influence on the choices they make and the kind of guys they want to be. Tonight he texted me before he went to bed. the text said "Alma 7:23" I couldn't be more grateful for a best friend.
Jeff will be turning 19 in a month. And he made one of the biggest decisions of his life so far... he will be going on an LDS mission. He was called to the Chihuahua, Mexico Mission. I couldn't be more proud of him for realizing the importance of this decision and serving the Lord for two years.
I joke about the day he leaves (Jan. 9)... I might have to go on a mission too, just so I don't miss him too much. Or maybe I could just fit in his suitcase? He's going to need someone to do the dishes for him since he has to 'go to the bathroom' every time the water starts running!.
Even though I might be joking... the truth is that this kid has made a huge impact on my life- since the day he was born... literally! (I was the princess until he came along) But I'm happy he did. I'm grateful for families but especially for little brothers.
Today... reach out to someone 
from me, to you

1 comment:

  1. Love this Kim. You two are both killer examples. You are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete